around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sock Summit part two

Did anyone else freak out trying to get their reservations at the 2009 Sock Summit? It was at least as much fun as I was expecting and I was glad it was over my lunch break.

It reminded me of the Friday after Thanksgiving with a 90% off everything in the store starting at midnight for 2 hours kind of thing. No casualties that I'm aware of, but it was a close thing. Well, I'm not sure that the Sock Summit Team has actually slept yet, but I hope that they've at least had a meal or two and a beer or three by now.

I was only close to tears once - after trying for 35 minutes to get in to the shopping cart (and stay there long enough to actually select my classes) I had entered my payment information and hit the send button. And waited, .... and waited. And then it timed out on me again. Their server was totally overwhelmed by the rabid sock knitters.

I freaked out. Did it accept my stuff? Did I actually reserve my spot? If it didn't I was out of luck because everything I wanted (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices) was sold out almost immediately.

Fortunately, sanity returned after a few minutes and I checked my email. Yes! Confirmation numbers for all three classes!

It would have really stunk if after already paying for airline tickets and reserving a hotel room and rental car I hadn't been able to actually go to the Sock Summit. It's my primary reason to be in Portland, after all.

So after all that I'll be spending one day with Melissa Morgan-Oakes learning how to knit two socks at one time on one circular needle. Then I get to spend a day with Nancy Bush learning all about Estonian socks.

And to round it out, I'll be spending half a day learning about knitting ergonomics with Carson Demers, a knitter and physical therapist. I'll probably really need this one by Sunday morning of the Summit.

Those were my first choices, too!

Hubby will be exploring the pleasures of the local zoo, gardens and parks on the days I'm in class.

Thank you, Sock Summit Team! Hope you have a chance to breathe soon!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Carrie K said...

Excellent classes! Don't forget to go to Powell's bookstore, it's amazing.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Traceyleezle said...

Oh you are so lucky. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Take lots and lots of pictures.

10:37 PM  
Blogger 鳳梨酥Blue said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home