around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Oh, look. A blog.

A blog that I've neglected terribly in the last year. Let's hope that things go better this year.
Let's start with Christmas, why don't we....

Hubby gave me a fine-sett modular Tri-loom from Hideaway Homestead. I've been looking at them for ages, so was pretty tickled to get it. It's the 5 foot size so I can make a decent size shawl with it - not huge, but a nice shoulder size.
Weaving goes soooo much faster than knitting. This little thing took me about a week. It's the most basic version of weaving on this loom - just a simple tabby weave using the continuous weaving process. It took less yardage than knitting, too. (Not that I'm about to stop knitting - this isn't terribly portable after all.)
I had plenty of purple yarn left over so I ran to the local yarn shop and picked up a skein of gray in the same wool/linen blend and I'll be doing a plaid shawl next. Plaids are supposed to be really easy with this method.

I've been doing a lot of sock knitting lately, using the two-at-a-time method that I learned at the Sock Summit. It's great to be able to finish the socks at the same time and not have to worry about single sock syndrome.

Here's a random picture of Otis, my parent's Jack Russell. Mom and Dad adopted him years ago and he's getting pretty old and creaky. I tried to get him to look at me, but he's deaf and didn't know I was trying to get his attention. He has a neurological disorder, too, and lists to one side. He still eats well and loves to take (very) short walks with Dad and otherwise is content to sleep in a nice warm spot. Not a bad way to retire. All those years of defending the home fires have paid off.
Next up, my sheep to shawl project. It's finally finished but I still need to take the final pictures. Oh well, that'll give me something to blog about next time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie K said...

Hard work rewarded. Good to see. ;)

Love your loom! Sewing is faster than knitting too. Oh well.

Sock Summit! I really wish I'd gone.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Jean Jaques said...

Hello! Just bloghopping. Great blog!

Happy blogging! :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Siajrak said...

hi there... have a nice blogging... :-)

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home