around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Monday, September 18, 2006

Stash busting exercise - part 3

I must really want to use this yarn. That's the only reason I would do this....

........lots of yarn taking a bath














Out to dry.......


And measured and tagged.

After all that? 1417 yards of worsted weight yarn. My gauge swatch? 17 stitches and 25 rows over 4 inches on a size 8 circular produced a fabric I like for this project. The yarn bloomed and relaxed after its bath and knits up wonderfully.

Yarn requirements for the Circumnavigate Cardigan? 1400- 1600 yards for a 40 inch sweater (and I'll need it a bit bigger than that).

Living dangerously? Yes, but what's new? See that darker yarn on the left? That's some natural-colored Jacob yarn from St Jude's Farm that I bought at the DFW fiber festival this spring. Doesn't it play nicely with my yarn? Wouldn't it look nice on the pockets, cuffs, and collar? There's 230 yards in that pretty skein.

(Note to self - don't try to hang out 18 skeins of very wet yarn in the dark using kitchen cotton as a clothes line. The line breaks, the yarn drops on the brick patio, leaves instantly tangle themselves into your yarn. This is a very bad idea and you get really cranky. )

And for the Fair Isle fanatics...

Progress photo of Fearless! (sorry for the rather dark photo - I'm still learning the new camera) Yes, I know I was trying for finishing through two of the four sleeve pattern repeats. I'd forgotten that I had frogged almost half a repeat - bummer. Still, I feel good about the progress made.




It started raining yesterday morning around 5am. I lay there in bed from 5 to 7 redesigning Fair Isles in my head. Not a bad way to spend a few hours while the thunder and drumming rain kept me awake. And we're sooo glad to get the rain; it kept raining off and on most of the day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

Phew, now that's a job! Well done - I think the 2 will go nicely together. What's the Circumnavigate cardigan, do you have a picture?

Heh, sounds like me trying to haul my laundry in off the deck STILL ON THE RACK...in the rain. Bad idea!

Is the Marina pressure getting to you too?! I managed about 30 rounds this weekend.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Great work! That was a lot of washing. :) I am still in awe of your fair isle.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm knitting the Circumnavigate in the Florida group.Waving hello. I will probably do the same thing, collar and cuffs and pockets in a different yarn.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home