around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Friday, September 08, 2006

sock!

(I can post this now! Holly got her package! This is what I did for my sss pal.)

Wendy Johnson's famous fan and feather toe-up sock, in Mountain Colors Bearfoot 'Huckleberry' on size one Brittany Birch dpns.


And since I couldn't decide on color I bought this, too - Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Thunderhead. (Ignore those size zero dpns - I thought I'd be using them.)

And a few other little goodies - a yarn cutter with a clip-on back and some pretty stitch markers.

This is wonderful yarn - nice and springy and soft. It knit up into a squoosy but firm fabric. The color changes wound around the leg rather nicely I thought.

Wendy writes a nice clear pattern. I'd never done a toe-up sock although I'd done a short row heel before. I'd also never used that nifty bind-off. If you haven't knit a toe-up sock before this is a great pattern with which to start.

That said, I think I still prefer cuff-down, heel-flap and gusset construction. I'll probably reserve the toe-up technique for times when I'm not sure I have enough yarn - at least then I won't run out before I reach the toe!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

Hi Cynthia! I love the toe-up construction. For a sock-novice like myself, it's the perfect method.

Such a lovely colourway!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a totally awesome sock! I haven't yet tried my hands at toe-up-sock-knitting, but I think I will just have to do it soonest possible! I so love the yarn, beautiful colors!

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home