around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Monday, August 21, 2006

...and bake at 104 degrees for two hours

Here's the last skein of Black Welsh Mountain top. I hung it out in the tree around 2:30pm yesterday afternoon. It may have taken a bit more than 2 hours to dry, but not much more. It's just too darn hot around here. (That strange object hanging next to the hank of yarn is a windchime seen on edge. It's down to one ringer; the strings are rotted, I think.)

I did manage to finish the sleeves of my sweatshirt jacket last night! Now for the neckband and the crochet front band. And, of course, all that finishing.

This has a zipper closure, so I need to shop for a zipper soon.



Recognize these? This is what remains of my unwearable Red Cross socks. I've got plans for this salvaged yarn. I had thought of remaking them to the same pattern (but more wearable) and donating them to the Socks for Soldiers but that group is doing them in black. If I had problems with navy blue, I'll go blind with black sock yarn. (I think what they're doing is great and I hope they get lots of socks done.)

Instead, I'm thinking about this beautiful pattern. Just enough lace, just enough texture.

Eye Exam for Knitters:

What do you see in this picture?

Did you see lots and lots of sock needles? Then your vision is just fine. By the way, these are about 6 3/4 inches long and about 3mm (between a US size 2 & 3 according to my needle sizer). I'll have to smooth them down a bit, as there are a few rough spots in the plastic. The yellow ones are just a tiny bit bigger than the other colors.

Still not a bad deal for $1.89 at the grocery store for 30 toy pick-up sticks. These might work well if I teach a course on sock knitting.

And here's more charity knitting. (See, I've justified the 'more-than-one-project' thing to myself. If it's for charity, it's ok)

This is the world's easiest baby blankie. I got the idea from Rebekah's Corner to Corner Critter Blanket.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Obviously my eyesight is not too good 'cos a see a kids' toy ;-) I don't think you'll ever make a sock knitter out of me!

Wow, one more day and it will be finished. Then you can devote all your knitting time to the Fearless FI. Right?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

That's so cool, the arms are done! I can't wait to see a modeled shot of the finished product.

I think that's a lovely pattern for your re-claimed sock yarn!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's still so hot over there! Here, at night and in the mornings it feels like autumn already, and our ivy on the balcony has all turned red and yellow by now, argh! Then again we're quite a bit more up north than you are :)
Thanks for the eye check, I'm all relieved now that my eye sight seems to be fine ;) Great deal you got, I'm also very curious to hear how these pickup sticks work out for you!
And I agree, the pattern you chose for your sock yarn looks fantastic!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Tasha said...

Pick up sticks as needles....pure genius!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home