around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

1 does not equal 2.5!

Welllll....this explains a lot! I kept thinking that these socks I was knitting from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks were turning out a tad smaller than expected. She calls for size ones, I'm using size ones - her gauge is 8st/inch over stockinette. I almost always have to go down a size to get gauge, so you'd think mine would turn out larger than normal using the suggested needle size. Of course, I didn't check gauge until after the second sock was finished. My gauge is 9st/inch.

Her size ones are 2.5 mm. My size one Brittany's are 2.25 mm. Mystery explained! Considering how many of her patterns are using a 2.5 mm needle, I guess I need to scare up a set.

Thank goodness I left a few extra stitches on the foot when I did the gusset and the lace pattern is fairly stretchy. Thank goodness even more that my mother-in-law has small feet!

I'll post a picture tomorrow - Blogger doesn't seem to want to upload photos today. I'll post more Fair Isle progress too! It grew a lot over the weekend.

On the Fair Isle front - I ordered a wooly board to block my precious Fair Isle (when I finally finish) but they were out of stock. Guess I'll go to my second choice and order again. Maybe I'll have it by the time I've finished my sweater.......

1 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

?? When did size 1 equal 2.5mm? Sometimes, I think it's easier when all the needle manufacturers & pattern designers just go metric.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home