around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What I did on my summer vacation.

Ok, so a 4 day weekend doesn't necessarily count as a summer vacation, but it's best I can do right now. After all, at least we got out of town, if not out of state.

Day 1 - Drive from Dallas to Houston. Get there mid-afternoon, then veg out the rest of the day (loop 610 is terrible even in the middle of the day). On TV, watch a high-speed chase through parts of south Houston that lasts for hours, is followed faithfully by many helicopters and is finally and safely resolved after the police puncture the guy's tires and he ends up in the bayou.
Eat dinner at the IHOP.
Knit on Fearless Fair Isle.

Day 2 - Go to the Houston Arboretum and walk around the paths - sweat a lot and leave.
Go to the Galleria mall - eat lunch, walk around a lot, watch the little kids learning how to ice skate and leave.
Go to a nearby antique store, admire all the old stuff, don't buy anything.
Go to a totally cool bookstore and spend lots of money!
Eat at an overpriced seafood restaurant and spend lots of money.
Knit on Fearless Fair Isle.
















Go to a wonderful production of Smoke on the Mountain, starring Lewis Case, my violin instructor from Fiddle and Bow. Have a great time. Don't take any pictures, but here's the program. My teacher is the guy with the banjo.














Day 3 - Drive from Houston to Dallas. Get there mid-afternoon. Watch another high-speed chase on TV (which turns into a low-speed chase) that lasts for hours and ends after the police puncture the tires and shoot out the engine block of an eighteen-wheeler.

What's the deal here, folks? Is everyone just crazy from the heat?

Knit a pocket for my installment sweatshirt jacket. Start the second pocket and run out of yarn.

Day 4 - Goof off. Go see the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Decide it's not as good as the first one.

Spin more yarn for my installment sweatshirt jacket.

Day 5 - Go back to work.

Somehow, this vacation doesn't compare to Dipsy's trip to Cyprus.

Oh, and here's a picture of Sock #1 with the cuff of Sock #2 on the needles.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

In my next life, since it is too late for this one, I want to live in Europe where distances are shorter!

Well, at least you got some knitting done!!!

By the way, I wanted to tell you that someone else, Anni, did the Siamese sleeve. http://knittingadventuress.blogspirit.com/

7:16 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hey, anytime you can get some time away from work, and knit, is good time! You're making great progress on your FFI.

Cuddles to Emy!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh oh, I wouldn't say you couldn't compare this trip to mine - after all you did a whole lot more in 4 days than I did in 2 weeks! The trip to the Houston Arboretum sounds like so much fun, but then again, it must have been pretty stressful wandering around in this immense heat! And wo-how, your progress on the FFI is amazing! It's getting close to the end, and I can't wait to see it all done, it's going to be so cool!
It's amazing what people are up to these days - we don't necessarily have high speed chases over here, but everything else probably - from totally insane murders to highjacking and what-not - it really must be the heat that's driving people totally nuts!

9:35 AM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Ok, I will go on vacation, but you get to bird sit. ;0) It is ridiculous, isn't it? Just one litttle storm....that's all I'm asking. The Arboretum looks really nice there in Houston. Great pics. Have you been over to Ft. Worth's? I LOVE that place. And, I, too, think your FFI looks wonderful.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home