around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I need more time!

By the time I get home from work each day it's usually after 6pm. Then an attempt at cooking (or we just give up on that idea and go out for dinner). By the time I get to sit down and start knitting it's usually after 7pm. That's only 2-3 hours a day for knitting and spinning if I'm lucky (assuming that I don't have other housework-type things to do - housework? what's housework?). I really need at least 2 more hours a day to do all the crafty things I'd like to do.

Have you ever been to the Gutenberg Project? They have 18,000 free books online. One of them is Beeton's Book of Needlework! This is a classic from 1870 and has basic instructions for all kinds of needlework (including knitting, of course). If you decide to download or view this book be sure to use the html format - it takes extra time to bring it up but that way you get the 600 engraved pictures. There's a work-bag in there that I'm just dying to make - if I make it long enough it'll be great for knitting needle storage (It's #200 in the book). You use applique embroidery on the outside and quilting on the inside and cardboard for stiffening the rolled up form of the bag. (I was going to include a picture of the work-bag but even though these are free books, I'm not sure I can do that....)

The chances of me actually stopping the knitting long enough to make this? Poor to none. See? I told you I need more time.

My Fair Isle sleeve grew a little bit last night.
















And here's a progress shot of the installment sweatshirt jacket (that's what I got done this weekend). As you can see the body is almost complete.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

It's so satisfying to sail through the arms after you've just slogged through the body in FI, isn't it?! I can't wait to see it when it's done! Actually - both sweaters!

Thanks for the Gutenberg Project link. I'm going to check it out.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much knitting, so little time! I always admire everyone who's working outside home and having kids how they can squeeze in any knitting time at all, and you're obviously no exception - it seems you're having some perfect time management, otherwise it'd hardly be possible, would it?
Thanks so much for sharing the link to the Gutenberg page, I had heard of it but never even thought about the possibility of knitting books out there - wow, will head there right away!
And you're doing such great progress on your projects, they're both absolutely gorgeous already, especially the Fair Isle one, it's so beautiful!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

That Brigitte needs to have her head checked ;-)

But since you're knotting, maybe she's right! It sure makes changing colors easier.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home