around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Friday, July 07, 2006

heel, anyone?

Proof that a few stitches at a time does eventually result in a knitted object. I have finally reached the heel on this puppy! There is hope that a pair of socks may be complete by the end of the summer.

I tried to load this picture of my Fair Isle sleeve earlier this week and it absolutely refused to cooperate. It works fine now and is still a current picture since I haven't worked on this sweater since then. I'm using a 16 inch circular Addi Natura and it seems to work fine. I'll switch to dpns when that gets too tight.

Plans for the weekend? Beyond the usual chores (laundry, grocery shopping, mowing), I'd like to have enough Black Welsh Mountain top spun up to finish the front of my installment sweatshirt jacket. I've got a 47 yard skein hanging in the tree already ... another two skeins that size should probably do it.

This pattern calls for picking up stitches and knitting down for the sleeves (a method I really like, btw). I'm thinking I should probably knit them cuff up together on the same circular instead to make sure that I'm going to come out right on the color changes. That means I'll probably need to spin up more than just a skein at a time like I've been doing. I'm debating, too, about the color of the big sweatshirt pockets. They probably need to be the lighter brown rather than the dark brown I'm working for the top of the sweater. (sigh) That means probably spinning and knitting the pockets before the sleeves, to make sure there's enough of the old roving left.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

You like living on the edge, don't you? It was only a dog blanket and every time I had only a little of some color, I would think, "what would Cynthia do?"

The FI is looking good! Not much more now.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hey, you're back up! I wasn't able to get to your site most of the week. :(

Wow - a 16" needle... That would definitely drive me batty. It's so exciting to see your progress!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who works her socks only at lunch and during commutes.

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe how gorgeous your Fair Isle is, it seems such a lot of work, but the result is definitely worth it! And your socks are coming along so fine, just knit and see, you'll be finishing them sooner than you think!

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home