around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Monday, October 02, 2006

Fearless Fair Isle - Finally Finished!


Pattern: Fearless Fair Isle by Wendy Johnson in the brown colorway
Yarn: Jamieson & Smith 2-ply (my supplier-Four Seasons Knitting)
Needles: Addi Natura circulars US size 3
Started: October 2005
Completed: September 2006

Changes to the pattern: I did a central steek and added a button placket to make it a cardigan.
Things I'd do differently next time: Maybe change the shape of the color and the neckline a bit. (that's only because it's written as a pullover and I changed it to a cardigan without any shaping changes-it was fine as written)

Ok, that looks like a very long time to complete one sweater, but in between I also completed four other sweaters, many pairs of socks, a few scarves, and a bunch of baby stuff.

This is my first Fair Isle project and I loved it. I highly recommend the pattern - Wendy does a good job of putting together a project that is challenging without being too intimidating. There are seven colors and two alternating pattern bands. If you haven't done Fair Isle before and need some online help, Anne has a great tutorial that I studied before I started this project.

And now on to the next two Fair Isles I'm designing...and the fisher gansey I swatched this weekend...and the Christmas knitting I started last week...and the sock I'm trying to finish...and the Tina shawl I want to retrieve from the UFO list...and the Circumnavigate Cardigan we're starting at the guild tomorrow...

My WIP pile is going to look like Sillyewe's shortly.

And by the way....the Monarch's are migrating! One of the bushes near our home was full of them yesterday morning.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, I'll have to go watch the monarchs migrate.

And awesome! Your FI looks gorgeous! Even without any extra shaping for pullover to cardigan change. Thirteen months does not sound like a long time, especially for a project like Fearless.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, yay you! Happy dance for Cynthia!!! It's fantastic, I hope you'll send Wendy a picture! (Small world - Four Seasons is about a 15 minute walk from where I live...!)

Congratulations on a job very well done!

The monarchs were everywhere here about a month ago. Amazing they can travel so far in such an amount of time.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

That was so not what I was thinking when I said, "modeled pic" ;-)

Yay! Bravo! Fabulous! Looks wonderful. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's a great way to add some color.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, that is just beautiful. I am sooo intimidated by fair isle. I love the colors too.

8:34 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Yeah!! Happy dance for ewe!! I know I'm late, but it it is still great right!?! Yes, it is!

The only migrations I get are the dang geese, I hope you got to enjoy every minute of the monarchs ;)

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home