around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Friday, March 31, 2006

Further signs of obsessive knitting

5. You will rip out 5 rounds of perfectly acceptable Fair Isle knitting (that's 384 stitches per round, folks) to correct an error that no-one would have ever seen.....

I had picked the one brown stitch at the beginning of my round as the one to hold on a safety pin for the beginning of the armhole steek. It should have been the white stitch right next to it (after all that was the center of the motif, I should have realized!). I managed to complete 5 rounds before I figured out that it should have been that stitch. I was still knitting in pattern and it would have been perfectly OK to leave it as it was.

As soon as I figured it out, I put it down and didn't touch the sweater for four days. I kept trying to convince myself that no-one would notice, no-one would know. The problem is, I would know....and it would bother me...... I didn't realize that this perfectionist streak was so strong! I've always thought of myself as easy-going! Apparently, easy-going in everything except knitting.

So, last night a needle with thin crochet cotton was surgically inserted in 364 stitches (that's before the steek stitches). Needles were removed and yarn carefully wound back into balls - with expert assistance from Miss Emy. Needles were re-inserted and the cotton removed. The correct stitch was taken from the flock and put on its locking stitch marker. (No pictures were taken, it was too devastating to contemplate.)

And we started over again....

1 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

No comment as I do not want to incriminate myself, but then, I did leave the Roscalie neckband alone despite its wonkiness.

Some things I will correct, others, well ....

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home