around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Serendipity















Cable and Rib Socks
Pattern: My own (inspired by Nancy Bush's pattern in the IK Fall 2005 issue)(I don't have this pattern, I've just seen pictures)
Yarn: Sisu Maskinvaskbar sock yarn (80% wool, 20% nylon) in a heathered gray
Needles: Size two (2.75mm) Brittany birch
Started: March 26, 2006
Finished: April 5, 2006

I'm really happy with the pattern and the fit. The yarn was nice to work with...a bit thicker than most of the sock yarns I've used before.

I'll post a progress picture of the Fair Isle later. Yes, there is progress, just not a lot.

I've cast on for my next sock project from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. The size 1 1/2 Brittanys came in the mail, so I should be ok for gauge this time.


Serendipity - to make discoveries, by accident and sagacity, of things not in quest of.

I lost one of my size two sock needles the other day. I only use 4 needles when knitting the leg of a sock, but prefer 5 needles when working on the foot.


This forced me to go to my closest local yarn shop during lunch on Tuesday to buy another set (like I mind going to the yarn shop). While I was paying for my purchases, the proprietor, as usual, asked if I was a member of the local guild (you get a discount if you are). I, as usual, said no and did the 'but I probably need to be' thing.

That's when she gently directed me to the set of leaflets, showed me the location map on the back and invited me to be a guest at the next meeting....which was that night. I'm not sure which of us was more surprised when I actually showed up.

It was great fun - 25 people of all ages sitting around a group of round tables, all of us knitting, of course. The standard organizational stuff at the first, then a program - one of the members demonstrating the SweaterWizard software (I got it for my birthday. It's neat, although I haven't used it for an actual pattern yet). Then 'show and share' - they went around every table and everyone either showed what they were knitting or showed off a finished project. All in all a very pleasant evening. I'll probably join when they have their next member drive.

By the way, if you're in the area, there's a Yarn Estate Sale this Sunday. One of their members passed away recently - all the proceeds from the sale of her stash will go into a college fund for her granddaughters. It took three members three days to sort all her stash, so there should be plenty to choose from.

I found my missing size two sock needle last night......see what I would have missed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home