around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Weekend recap - a little late

Dang! I'm way behind on blogging....and commenting....and responding to comments. Oh well, time to catch up.

Thanksgiving was great - Mom and Dad came over, the food turned out good (and healthy), the house has remained clean for a whole week, and I had lost weight when I weighed in on the Friday after Thanksgiving. A success all round.

Knitting happened during the long weekend.

The Marriage Gansey was treated to about twelve rounds..... do you think it means something when your sweater can stand up by itself? Drape-y is obviously not the word you use to describe this. (Looks kind of like a corset in this shot, doesn't it?)

Don't worry, it's supposed to be like that - traditional fisher ganseys are very firmly knit. I'm probably not even approaching the really close gauge stuff they did in the past. I did manage to bend my Addi Turbos though...didn't know I had it in me. Managed to straighten them out sufficiently, so things are still going ok.

I must really like cables - I designed a heck of a lot of them into this gansey (as I'm reminded every fourth round). Cabling without a cable needle is definitely a good thing.

Swatching finally started to happen, too! I'm not real happy with this one yet - but it will be a design in progress for some time to come. This is the background for the Pictish Fair Isle. It'll probably change substantially before I settle on a final form.



And of course, frenzied gift knitting is still happening....

I'm almost to the heel of sock #2!

And I'm about a third of the way through on the Cat's Paw lace scarf!

Of course, there's still the Circumnavigate Cardigan waiting in the wings. Fortunately, I've got until our first meeting in January to get to the top of the pockets. Definitely do-able once I've finished my Christmas knitting.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Sounds like Thanksgiving/long weekend was a success.

That's pretty amazing that it can stand on its own!

The Pictish FI is "different". I like those patterns that go vertically.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

The gansey looks great! The firmness of the finished fabric is what's keeping me away from Western Seas - I find it hard on my hands sometimes. But once it's done - wind won't pass through the sweater!

Glad you had a well-deserved relaxing Thanksgiving!

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Pictich FI looks very interesting, I can't wait to see how you progress through the swatching phase.

You commented on me taking 15 minutes a round -- yes, on a 42" sweater -- without any cat or dog interruptions, without the phone ringing, etc. If I'm watching a TV Program, I can get 3 full rounds in during the hour, and a bit -- I can't keep up the pace for the full hour.

But, when you realize when you're half way round the you used the wrong shade on the row below....there is nothing left to do but unpick.....and that always takes so much longer LOL!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Congrats on losing weight the week of Thanksgiving! The gansey is looking good - lame question - will you wear it where you live?

11:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

The Gansey is beautiful- traditional yet modern. Love the color as well, goes well with the cable patterns.
The Fair Isle is intriguing- I'd like to see more.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The marriage gansey looks great! I love cables. Bending a needle? LOL! At least it didn't break.

Pictish is coming along, work in progress, work in progress.

Christmas knitting? So soon?

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything's looking great! I love the hearts on the sweater.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you again. It's funny after Thanksgiving a ton of bloggers went into hibernation. Love the socks.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home