around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Thursday, April 19, 2007

3 weeks, 3 pairs of socks

I feel like I've joined that 52 pair plunge knit-along. DH will be boarding the plane with these Socks that Rock next Monday.

From left to right - Nodding Violet, Scottish Highlands, Midsummers Night - all medium weight

I'll probably write up one of these (they are all pretty similar) and post it as a free pattern.

And just in case I should go through sock-knitting withdrawal, I immediately cast-on for another pair in stash yarn (for me this time).

But I do think it's time to take some of these poor neglected WIPs in hand and get them finished up:

1. Tina (abandoned almost 2 years ago)
2. The 2nd qiviuq scarf
3. My fisherman's sweater
4. My 2 Fair Isle designs (still in the design and swatch phase)

My first inclination is to go with the qiviuq scarf, just because it's a smaller project that won't take so much to finish up. That's even though I only got about 2 repeats (of 25) done right before Mom's surgery. (Late update - I have indeed restarted the qiviuq scarf - it's now 4 repeats of 25.)

Then Tina really, really needs to be knitted up. She's been patiently waiting for an awfully long time and I've got a lot more lace knitting under my belt now. My vision isn't significantly better, which was the main reason I put her down, but I'd still like to give it a shot.

That will probably get me through 'til July - just the weather for knitting a nice warm sweater. (please note sarcasm in voice) Then I can take up either my fisherman's sweater or one of my Fair Isles (Ok, ok, I know where the vote will go there.)

Let's see if I manage any of the above. I've tried this before and usually go off on a tangent.
Emy so seldom poses for me. In case you're wondering where her attention lies, the cockatiels are over there. If she gets too close Jack will stick his head through the bars and pick at the clothes pin holding up the birdy bloomer until the clothes pin snaps off and flies at Emy. I thought it was a coincidence the first time I saw Jack do this - it wasn't.
And it looks like this fellow has already had a rough spring. I think it's an American Painted Lady. Late update - my DH and I looked in the butterfly book. It's an American Lady, not an American Painted Lady.

8 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Wow, nice array of socks!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Hmm! You want me to believe that you put that sock down? I need to think about it.

The socks are gorgeous! How do I join your family?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Aw, Emy is so sweet! Poor butterfly, I wonder how it's wings were clipped?

Your socks are so lovely... I had been looking at the Scottish Highlands colourway, and now I wish I had ordered it!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I have always wondered what the Scottish Highlands looks like all knitted up. It's beautiful.
I love the fact that your bird knows how to get Emy's goat. She just exudes innocence in that pic. "Moi? Eat a bird? Never!"

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love STR. I have a skein of Nodding Violet waiting in the stash, so I really appreciated your pic!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Great work with the socks. :) Look forward to the pattern.

Poor Emy doesn't EVEN know what would be in store for her if she ever got hold of the cockatiels. My folk's cat did once - let's just say the cat never messed with the birds again. :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Emy is such a cute little puss!

I have yet to make anything out of STR, but I have collected a number of skeins.

Tell us more about your Fair Isles.

9:09 AM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Man I wish I could whip out socks that fast - those colors look really fun. Lucky family! Lucky you!

At least post the FI teasers - lace can always wait until July ;-)

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home