around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A turn of phrase

I went over to my folk's house the other night and we listened to a short-story, The Night Bookmobile, by Audrey Niffenegger (read by Christina Pickles and presented by Selected Shorts). Rather eerie, but very thought-provoking.

We started talking about favorite authors and their wonderful use of language. A sentence or phrase that causes you to think, "I'd never have thought to use that wording for this person/ place/ thing/ situation, but it's perfect". Words that evoke an emotional response or allow you to 'see' what's going on.

Mother asked me which I'd rather have to live without, beautiful music or beautiful words. This is a tough one, because I really enjoy both. I think, though, if I had to make a choice I'd rather live without the beautiful music than miss the beautiful words.

That's part of what this blog is about, after all. An opportunity to tune my use of words, to pin down coherently the thoughts tumbling chaotically about in my brain. I sometimes will let a post ferment in my head for several days before it gets typed up, and even then I may go back and change it many times before I hit the 'publish' button. (OK, sometimes I'll change it even after then.)

I was mentally composing this one at 3am this morning. I hate it when I wake up and can't go back to sleep. I feel like the 'before' picture of one of those prescription sleep-aid advertisements.

What does this have to do with knitting? After all, this is mainly a blog about knitting. Nothing, of course. But I've realized that some of the blogs I enjoy reading most not only have interesting content but often have that great use of words. Part of the reason I started blogging was to emulate those bloggers and authors I admire the most.

It's all about my search for a perfect turn of phrase.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore that story as well as that radio program. I agree, some of the best blog posts are more about the perfect wording than whether I like the project or not. I am also guilty of changing, and then changing again, and changing one more time, my posts. Before and after I hit the publish button. ;)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

This is saying a lot coming from someone who plays the violin, which I think produces the most beautiful music.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Cynthia- Alot of bloggers are also fine writers- have you ever been to Crazy Aunt Purl? The woman is hysterical- she should write a book about her misadventures.

I enjoy a good, humorous story.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing lovelier than well written prose.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

I agree - I couldn't live without the written word...

7:43 AM  
Blogger 鳳梨酥Blue said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home