around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Auditors

Imagine StarWars storm troopers invading the home planet.
I'll have my life back in a couple of weeks.
Then we start implementing a new financial software package. My life goes away again.

In the mean time - look at SIL #1's new socks!

Socks That Rock medium-weight in Nodding Violets on size 2 (2.75 mm) Brittany dpns.
Pattern: my own with a little lace pattern from Mary Webb's Knitting Stitches. It's the 'easy lace stitch #2' on page 250. (This cracks me up by the way - the whole book is like that; no names of stitches, just 'medium cable #4', 'easy lace #1', etc..) Don't get me wrong by the way; it's a really nice little book and those descriptions make it really easy to pick out what you want.


'Easy Lace Stitch #2!' I wanted a vine-like effect.

This is my first experience with Socks That Rock. Lovely stuff, although I think I'll go for the lighter weight next time. But before that - here's SIL #2's sock started:

Socks That Rock medium in Midsummers Night. Nice thing about the medium weight yarn - it knits up a lot faster than the Lang Jawoll that I used on Mom's socks.
I may even try for one more pair of this stuff for my MIL before hubby goes off to visit them later this month (or maybe not). I have one more skein of the STR in the Scottish Highlands colorway. I was going to be selfish and knit them for myself, but I may be nice....

And looky at the new spinning wheel! All I've managed to do so far is put it together (very easy) and treadle a bit. Boy, is it quiet! And smooth! But I may not have a chance for too much spinning until the storm troopers leave. And I am planning on using it! Regardless of comments left to the effect that no-one has ever seen me use a spinning wheel. Spindle, yes, spinning wheel, no. It's all a matter of getting the right tools, right? That's why I needed a new wheel, right? ;=)So tell me... do you name your inanimate objects? I know lots of people name their cars, their computers, their spinning wheels. Maybe it shows a dearth of imagination, but my car is the 'new car' (and will remain that no matter how old it gets - this is a family tradition), the computer is 'the computer' (or perhaps more accurately 'DH's computer' since I rarely use a computer when I'm home), the spinning wheels are 'the Hitchhiker' or 'the Lendrum'. See - boring. Maybe it's the accountant coming out. Knitting uses up all the creative juices.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

Uh, I do name my inanimate objects. My bike is Lola *whispering*...

I love your socks! I'm in the process of making some right now for my sister (shhhh) and SIL.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

I have enough names to remember, since She names all Her designs. Those inanimate objects that reside here don't need no names ;-)

That colourway, Nodding Violets is lovely!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*girly squeel* I am knitting the knitty pattern, Monkey, in nodding violets. Isn't it the loveliest colorway? It reminds me very much of my grandmother's front yard in the spring. The colors are a dead on match.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Good to know about STR - always wondered what weight I should get.

Socks look great.

May the force be with you. :)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home