around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I'm a sucker for a good quiz

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
Boston
North Central
The South
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The Northeast
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Interesting thing - I took this quiz twice (because I accidently deleted the code the first time). The first time I came up with The Midland. I must have answered a question differently the second time around. I moved around a lot (Kansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming and Texas) when I was a kid, so that probably influences my accent.

Mom is in a regular room right now and slooowly recovering. No one is saying how long she'll need to be in the hospital (which translates to probably quite awhile). I told her she's getting lots of well-wishing from my on-line friends - she says thanks!

Little bits of knitting are still getting done:

Tiny progress on qiviuq scarf #2...



Down to the toe of stockinette sock #2...


A so-so picture of completed qiviuq scarf #1...



Qiviut, quiviut, qiviuq, quiviuq? I've seen it spelled all of these ways...

Qiviuq is the preferred name from Folknits (where I purchased the yarn and pattern). Qiviut is the name used by the Oomingmak co-op. I'm not sure if it is a regional difference or a branding/registration/copyright difference. It all comes from the same source - the downy undercoat of the musk ox that has to be hand-plucked or combed from the animal.

The claims I've heard - Qiviuq is as soft as cashmere and 8 times warmer than wool (can't remember where I read that). As I've had recent experience with cashmere, qiviuq and wool, I'd say it's close to that claim. The fingering weight cashmere I used on those Christmas scarves for Mom and Mom-in-Law was a tad softer. As I was knitting with the qiviuq and letting the scarf rest on my leg, I noticed a definite warm spot. Since it was a very airy lace-weight knit that was quite a lot of warmth for very little weight.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

At least, she's moving in the right direction! Hope she continues to progress.

Thanks for the yarn/warmth/softness review. Some yarns are wasted on me as I don't realize I'm supposed to feel more warm or that it's softer than others ;-)

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The knitting all looks great. Glad to hear mom is on the road to recovery, even if it may be a longer road than you wanted.
I took that quiz, what fun. I am inland north. I get teased all the time here since I moved to Pennsylvania Dutch country.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Oh, I'm glad that your Mom is doing better!

Your scarf is lovely...however they spell it!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Glad to hear Mom is doing better, but sorry it is longer than expected.

Once I was in a fiber store here in Anchorage. A couple of women were in from rural Alaska looking for a couple drop spindles because "they had some qiviut laying around." Musk Ox are foul tempered critters - very dangerous business getting that fiber. There is a musk ox coop near Anchorage.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A long recovery is fine, as long as she keeps recovering! Slow & steady is great.

The knitting looks gorgeous as always! No clue on the definitive spelling but if it's 8 x warmer I've got to keep away from it! I'll boil.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the HP book comes out, I'll be doing the same thing - reading it right through - and anyone who interrupts me will be lucky that I don't have a wand LOL!

Only 5 months to go........I'm not wishing my life away, I'm just looking forward to a great event in my obviously (LOL) simple life!

All the best to your Mom -- and I love your qivit scarves. I've never knit with qiviut -- I think it's something I'll have try.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Best wishes for your Mom's recovery.

I have seen Musk Ox, at a zoo somewhere, and they look as if they stay pretty warm. They have interesting horns as well.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home