around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Thursday, May 10, 2007

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Nothing exciting to post about today, just realized it has been a while. Bright blue socks are slowly progressing down leg #2. Qivuit scarf was making steady progress (15 of 25 repeats completed), but I've not looked at it in a week. Knitting life is just bleh.

DH made it back home 2 minutes before a tremendous storm arrived. That's literal by the way. He walked in the door at 7pm, the heavens opened at 7:02pm. Very good timing, although we both felt sorry for the taxi driver that had to make his way back to the airport in that mess.

I messed up my neck (again) so knitting is probably not the best thing right now. Sitting around with a neck brace seems to be the main occupation, along with listening to Agatha Christie audio books.

I've decided that the almost-forgotten lace shawl should be my next project to finish up (after the qiviut). Sorry, FairIsle fans! I figure that between the shawl and sock-knitting, I should be ok for projects for a while.

..... forgetting this morning's wild flight of fancy of a nice cotton cardigan for the office ....
But it would be nice, as I'm presently wearing an extremely worn-out silk/cotton store-bought cardigan that's falling apart .... and a nice, neutral-colored cardigan that I can thrown on over everything would be really, really practical ... and I may even have some 1824 cotton in the stash that would work ... help, me - I'm feeling weak again.

I think it's a spring thing. I had this overwhelming urge to make a cotton sweater around this time last year. Suddenly, wool loses some of its appeal - especially since it's been in the 80s every day this week and very muggy, too.

Any good ideas for a drapey cotton blend yarn? I liked Knit-Picks Shine worsted-weight, but it tends to shed bright blue bits all over the place and also tends to sag with wear. Looking at the tattered sweater I'm wearing right now, I find a dk to worsted weight yarn that's 77% silk and 33% cotton. I like the drape and weight - the silk keeps it from sagging out of shape and the cotton helps keep it breathable. Guess I'll visit Knitter's Review and see if she's got any suggestions.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, but if you find a good cotton yarn, let me know. It's usually hot around here too, and wool, at least lots of it, isn't on my To Knit list.

Step away from the projects! You're in a brace, for Pete's sake. Rest, listen to books....well, I suppose you can plan new projects....;)

6:03 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

I agree, you're at the planning stage right now. Don't want to aggravate the neck by doing too much.

So, do we get to see a picture of the shawl?!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked out Knitpicks new Cotlin? It's a linen cotton blend. I am dreaming of a who-the-heck-turned-the-air-conditioning-on-this-high cardigan for the office as well and was considering that yarn.

10:43 AM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

What is going on with these storms!!!!! And I think they are bringing all of your cedar pollen up here...I am a mess. ;0) Was just thinking about how it has been an easy spring allergy-wise.......darn it!

Hope your neck gets better. It is a painful thing, I know! Take it easy. We need you in good shape.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

But while you're recuperating, you could play around with your Fair Isle charts and colours ;-)

6:04 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

For cotton stuff I like Brown Sheeps cotton fleece. 80% cotton 20% merino. Very nice. My boys don't complain about drapey, but I have heard other knitters say they really like it.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taggin' ya for a meme! Come to my blog for the rules! Taggity Tag Tag!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home