around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

New family

Well, that older kitty was still at the shelter. But she bites. I can put up with a lot, but I don't want to pull back a bloody stump every time I try to pet my cat. I hope she finds an understanding family.
But while we were there..... you can see where this is going, can't you?

We brought home not one, but two! cats. The thought being that they can keep each other company. We always felt that Emy was a bit lonely by herself, but we couldn't bring another kitty into a FeLv positive home.

Patch is about 18 months old. Her owner surrendered her because a family member was allergic. She's a beautiful tortoiseshell (with a bit of white) and loves to flop on her back for belly rubs and wrestling matches. She also has an unfortunate obsession in the cockatiels - who now live in a fortress reinforced with wire mesh.

Tootsie (aka 'streak of lightning', aka 'mad hatter', aka 'hell on 4 paws', aka 'no! no!') is 7 months old and was found on I-30. Tootsie is a grey and black tabby shaped like a Siamese. She's got that ear-shattering Siamese wail too. I'd forgotten what it's like having a high-octane kitten in the house.
There was a bit of hissing and spitting between the two cats - mainly on Patch's side. Now, there are signs of play and tolerance, so I think they'll both survive the introduction. We may survive, too, although it's been exhausting trying to kitten-proof everything.

It was worth it when we were both sitting in the living room last night, Patch draped over my lap (and the arm of the couch, with her back legs sticking out in the air) and Tootsie (finally zonked out) stretched out next to my DH with her head on his ankle.

Aren't cats wonderful?
Late update! They've got official names now. The names above were assigned by the shelter.
Patch is now Bonnie (Scottish for 'very pleasing to the eye').
Tootsie is now Scamp (and that one's self explanatory!).

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! What beautiful babies you have. Both sound like wonderful additions to the family, I can't way to see their adventures in yarn!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh!!!!! Can't wait to be introduced to them this Thanksgiving. Your niece will just love them.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

OMG. They are beautiful. Kittens are a joy. :) Though it is an adjustment after a cat in the house.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! Scamp sounds like a......well, a scamp. ;)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Eeee! I love Bonnie and Scamp!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Traceyleezle said...

They are so beautiful! I love them! Great names.

9:39 AM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Hey, Cynthia! Thanks! It is nice to see you and look at those kitties!!!!! They will love each other given time. heh When we brought Mia...or Satan as my students lovingly refer to her.....home, Fritz was PO'd. We had lost another cat, Boo, and thought he needed a companion. Long story short, they are friends, albeit cautious. So sorry about Emy! They are family and it is no less of a heartache to lose them. I hope your new family brings lots of laughter and fun!!!! :0)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Traceyleezle said...

How are Bonnie and Scamp doing?

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home