around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Monday, February 20, 2006

Crossing the finish line


Done!

Stats:
Pattern: Not-so-warm Einstein Coat
Book: The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville
Yarn: Paton Katrina in color Chocolate
Needles: Denise Interchangeable circs in Size 9 & 7
Started: Fall 2004
Finished: February 19, 2006

Things to remember if I ever do this again: It took about 4-5 more skeins than called for in the pattern. Sally used a Size 6 needle - it took a Size 9 for me to get gauge (which I noticed is the suggested needle size for the yarn - I almost always need to go down a needle size). Definitely don't attempt this project on straight needles.

This thing is HEAVY. The rayon yarn is very stretchy and HEAVY. (Did I mention that it is heavy?)

I doubt I'll ever make it again. It's a clever pattern and requires very little finishing but I can't stand that much garter stitch.

It will be a nice office cardigan. You never know what the temperature is going to be in my office.

Thanks, Natalie for starting this UFOlympics! It's probably the only way I would have finished this monster.

Rounded the turn (the heel turn of course!) and heading towards the finish on my second French sock also! Although this wasn't part of my UFOlympic challenge I'd like to have it finished by the ending ceremonies.

Then there are the sleeves of Mom's sweater, the Fearless Fair Isle, the Tina shawl............. a woman's work is never done!

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! You've finished your project already. I'm so impressed. It looks fabulous, and so warm.

Thanks for your words of encouragemnt. They really help, and I WILL finish my sweater.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Doesn't it feel great to finish it? Gorgeous!

And the sock? It's beautiful. Why can't I knit socks?

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your Einstein! And a few days early too! That's awesome. I'm also in the UFOlympics, and am also doing a pattern out of The Knit Stitch--the 3-scarf Ruana. So I totally understand how you feel about the neverending garter stitch... The weather in Texas is cold and yucky these days--perfect for your coat's debut.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

{{{{Cynthia}}}}}}}}

YEAHHHHHHHHH. You Go Girl, Those ice dancers don't have nothing on you!

It does look fabulous; as does your socks. I haven't tried socks on small needles yet; I've done socks in chunky yarn & felted for slippers does that count?

Congrats again.

ps. thanks for the congrats on my blueberry jacket & perfect A.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home