around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Monday, December 04, 2006

More bits and pieces

I very carefully wrote down everything I did for Sock #1. I know I did. It's on a piece of nice, thick notebook paper with all the little dangling bits on the edge that you get from ripping a page out.

How many stitches cast on, how many rounds for the cuff, how many stitches reserved for the heel, how many stitches for the short rows of the heel, how many stitches for the kitchener toe. I was very thorough.

I was also very forgetful and don't remember where I put the darn piece of paper!

Everything in the knitting bag got dumped out and pawed through. Everything in the other knitting bag was also dumped out and pawed through. I would have gone through knitting bags 3 and 4 if I wasn't positive I hadn't been in them for several months.

The laptop bag was disassembled. The various knitting books were opened and shakened upside down. The miscellaneous stacks of paper were dissected and discarded.

I looked everywhere and I can't find the bleeping piece of paper so I can finish Sock #2.

...............................


So I finished it anyway.


This meant looking at Sock #1 very, very closely and re-counting everything at least twice. It took three tries to get the heel turn to look right.

Pattern: based on Nancy Bush's Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Fortissima Cotton Socka in color 6610 (blue/black marl)
Needles: Brittany Birch US Size 1 1/2 (2.5 mm)

I'm saying it's based on Nancy Bush's pattern since I changed darn near everything (another reason why I wrote everything down). Thicker yarn meant a change in needle size and a change in number of stitches cast on. I didn't bother with the leg shaping, used a different heel, stopped the pattern after the gusset and don't even know if I'm using the same toe (I stopped reading the pattern long before that).

For all that, I'm really happy with how they turned out.

And I'm half-way through the Cat's Paw scarf!

Stolen time:

I'm taking a 10-month management course that's sponsored and taught by my company. Once a week I listen to the HR director talk about the course material as it applies to our company and watch his online presentation from the privacy of my office. There's a test after each of the three books and so far I've passed book #1 - yay!

Of course, I also use this opportunity to knit! He's aware that I'm doing this, by the way. He doesn't mind - I'm paying attention and contributing to the group discussion. I always study the chapter ahead of time, too.

All this means that I get an extra uninterrupted hour or two a week to sit and knit at work. How great is that? I almost feel guilty!

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I'm like that too! Got stacks of paper with bits written down but now I know to put them away in a "sheet protector". Every single FI I've done has its own.

They pretty much look the same. Very handsome!

Congrats on passing! Hmm, I don't remember my University professors being that nice.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Socks are identical! :) I am loving watching the cat paw scarf grow. It makes me think of kitty paws on windshields from our neighbor tomcat, Tigger.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Uh, I also lose WHOLE patterns!

My boss lets me knit during conference calls. Hey, good going on test #1!

Scarf is looking good...

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. I love it! Knitting at work, the ultimate guilty pleasure. I get a chance now and then, especially now that we are in our down season.
I adore you for having nearly as many "knitting" bags as me. I always start out with a purse, which is mandatory that it holds at least a sock project. This purse usually ends up getting dumped into one of my larger knitting bags. I don't know why I even bother buying purses anymore. I should just buy more knitting bags!
I am loving the cats paw scarf.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Laws of Knitting Notes decree that the notes should turn up any day now in some completely obvious spot.

They look great! I love the cat paw scarf.

I knit during continuing ed classes and....church. My pastor doesn't mind but I get the Eye from someone in the congregation now and then. And then they come up to me and ask how to do X, so it's all good.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home