around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My dream knitting room

Now this is the kind of meme I can go for.... What does my dream knitting room look like?

Shelves, lots of shelves. Not only for the yarn (of which there is plenty), but for the quilting fabric, costume fabric, weaving materials, patterns, books, my violin collection, and other crafty things I've accumulated over the years. These shelves need to cover at least two (or three!) walls and go floor to ceiling. Not to worry if there are a few empty shelves... that won't last long.

Good lighting. I feel like I'm living in a cave most of the time and as I (and my eyes) get older it's getting worse. I've got a small Ott light (thanks, Mom and Dad) but I need more, more, more. Not bright, migraine-inducing, fluorescent light - clear daylight light. Mood-lighting is for younger folks.

Along with the good lighting - one of those fancy, hands-free magnifying lens. I don't always actually look at my knitting, but when I'm doing really fiddly stuff, that would be kind of nice.

A comfortable chair. It needn't be fancy, but does need to be something I can comfortably slouch in. We won't go into the proper posture necessary for knitting. Proper for me involves a slouch. Deal with it.

A corner for the spinning wheel and it's chair - you know, actually set up so I can use the darn thing, instead of folded up by the bookcase in the bedroom.

A corner for the sewing machine - it's actually in that corner in a nice sewing cabinet (thanks again, Mom and Dad). But a corner I can actually get to, and sit and sew.

A place for everything and everything in its place. Being terminally disorganized, I always admire those people that have everything neatly put away and can easily find a set of size 5 birch knitting needles and 6 skeins of blue-gray wool without emptying out three drawers, 2 bins, and 5 knitting bags. Frankly, I also am deeply suspicious of anyone with these kinds of organizational skills. They're the kind that can hide the body and get away with it. (Of course, looking at the chaos that is my current craft room, there could be a few bodies stashed away there and no-one would ever know.)

I actually have a room (the aforesaid craft room) that I could make over into this perfect knitting room, so this isn't pie-in-the-sky talking. It will only take three things:
1. Money (there is sufficient in the kitty for this)
2. Time (alas, there is very little extra of this right now)
3. Energy (sorry, none left)

So when there is time and energy... maybe around June of next year... I'll come back to this post and remind myself that this needs to be done.

Thanks to Rebekah for the meme! She's much more imaginative and entertaining about her dream room.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a dream knitting room! I hear you on the lighting and the slouching.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Traceyleezle said...

Oooh, yep, sounds great. I can definitely get into that kind of room.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I like the sound of your room too! Very comforting. Thanks for playing along. I'm getting some good ideas for my own knitting nook of my house throughout all of this!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yesss, that's perfect indeed! This sounds exactly like the knitting room that I'd dream of too!

My gosh, I just realized - what a horror comment is there in front of me? - by "anonymous" (of course, who else but anonymous could write such b***?). Sorry to see you're spammed, my friend ;(

7:24 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Deleted that spam comment. Some people just have way too much time on their hands. I like how it was prefaced about me being a 'young parent'. I'm neither young, nor a parent - check your target audience, silly!

8:55 AM  
Blogger 鳳梨酥Blue said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home