around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Comfort knitting revisited

I'm still feeling the love for my 'oh, so necessary' bedjacket. It's giving me the needed elements of comfort knitting - no looking at patterns or charts, a big enough gauge to make me feel like I'm making progress, not totally mindless, and a nice soft yarn. It's also giving me something else... the dreaded flip.
See? I didn't make my garter stitch border big enough, so now it's flipping up at the bottom. This so totally my fault. I only made it about an inch wide and at the time thought that might be too small. I was right. I should have either made it at least 2 1/2 inches or used a smaller needle to tighten it up (or both).

Some options to fix this:

1. Don't fix it. Not really an option because it will drive me crazy.
2. Pretend I meant to do that and sew it into place like a hem. Will probably look goofy, but represents less work than some other options.
3. Frog it and start over. Are you kidding!? I've got almost 2 skeins into this now!
4. Cut the bottom border off and start knitting down with a smaller needle. Icky, but a pretty good way of fixing the problem.
5. Pick up the cast on row and knit down using a smaller needle and/or different stitch pattern. Again, this will probably look goofy.
6. Pick up the cast on row and crochet a bottom border. Goofy? Perhaps, but again, a viable option.
7. Get sneaky and try taking a tuck along the border from the back of the knitting to see if it will lie down better. I'm all for sneakiness if it works, so this may be what I try first.

I'm pretty sure any attempt at blocking will not help. It's synthetic fibers so I wasn't going to bother to block it anyway.

Any other ideas out there? I'm always willing to learn from my mistakes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Sew some "weights" on it and pretend they're beads ;-) Seriously, I'm AR enough to do #4.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! I feel your pain.

Oh, but I liked the bead (weighted) idea. I'd go for option four or seven. I'd try the crochet border, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you covered all the options, I'd say #6 would be what I would try. 2 or 3 rows should do it, I would think.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Taylor said...

I have often found that rolling hems will stay down after blocking. I vote for letting it be (or if you need reassurance, wet block what you have done now, and see if that works).

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

Hi Cynthia! I'm really curious to see if you try out #7 the tuck and if it works. I have a few things myself that could benefit for your experiments, hehe.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home