around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

a quick-ish update - ok, so a long update

I haven't been posting much lately since the job that pays the bills has been getting in the way. I didn't even go to knitting guild last night and they were going to demonstrate knitting backwards. Really hated to miss that, but I'm pooped and I needed to work anyway.

We're going through a conversion of our financial and customer relationship software and having just the kind of fun that you might think. And guess who the manager of this whole process is? yeah... me.

We've also got the auditors in for the next two weeks. Since we went through an ownership change (otherwise known as the 'recap') right near the end of the year, that involves more than the usual fun. Guess who the manager of the audit is? yeah... me, again. (Oh yeah, I'm the accounting manager - that might explain it.)

Rebekah got my zebra socks! I figured she's always doing something for everyone else so someone needed to do something for her. I had a lot of fun making them and they made all those tedious eye doctor appointments go a lot easier.

You know what happens when you drop a ceramic acorn-shaped support spindle on a tile floor? You end up with lots of little ceramic acorn-shaped pieces. I'm using my home-made bead spindle now. It's about the same weight and feel of the acorn and is unlikely to break no matter where I drop it. The bead is stone and a heavy one, at that.

I've ordered another acorn, though. It's an Anne Grout and one of my favorites, so I didn't want to do without.

I've gone a bit spin crazy lately. The bead spindle doesn't hold much, but I'm doing about 25-35 yards of two ply from each cop. I've got about 375 yards so far. Need probably 1200-1500 yards for the shawl I'm planning. I'm spit-splicing three little skeins together at a time to make a more reasonable-sized ball. That way I won't have to splice as much during knitting.

To demonstrate how far the madness has spread, I've reserved a fleece from Nistock Farms. If you click on that link and scroll down to the colored medium fleeces, you'll see that Olive's fleece has my name against it. It will probably be June before I see it though. Robin indicated that lambing is getting ready to be in full swing and a lot of other folks are in line for fleeces before me.

Olive's fleece is a beautiful grey and I can't wait 'til I have it.

And since I can't wait I bought a merino wether lamb fleece through eBay. It's multi-colored black, brown and beige. I've heard merino is a real bear to clean and card so wish me luck. I haven't heard from the seller yet. I'm hoping my fleece will be in the mail shortly.

So what does one do with great gobs of raw fleece? One gets to do a lot of washing, of course! Spinning Spider Jenny has some great tutorials on scouring raw fleece, dyeing and spinning techniques. If I could sit at her feet for a few weeks I would.

Hey, I might even break out the Lendrum double treadle wheel!

Well, I was going to post pictures, but that'll have to happen later. Back to work!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds as if you're having as much fun as I am. Joy, no? Why couldn't I have kept my dream of being an English teacher?

Poor Dragonfly and Velour's fleece are not reserved yet. I was so tempted......just because I don't spin.....should that stop me?

(Yes.)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cynthia,
Thank you for the very nice mention on your blog post. I'm so glad my scouring info has been of help to you.
Cheers, Jenny

9:34 AM  
Blogger Traceyleezle said...

My goodness, sounds like work is taking over. I am glad that you are taking time for yourself and spinning.

We are preparing for wee one's arrival, 5 or 6 more weeks. Eeeps! Where does the time go?

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home