around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The gauntlet has been thrown down

Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full.

One for the master,
One for the dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.

Nefertiti's hoggett fleece produced a large box of natural black roving. I've no idea what breed of sheep she is, but her fleece is fairly short staple, with a slightly coarse texture. The roving is easy to spin, as it 'grabs' easily but it's not near as soft as the lilac shetland. Since this is for a jacket, rather than a 'next-to-skin' sweater, that should be ok (and may even wear a little better). In the sunlight, the black translates into a very dark brown with grayish highlights.

Marina says she's been waiting for a long time to see someone spin enough for a sweater. That sounds like a challenge to me! Time to get off my rear end and get spinning.

Ok - using my new Ann Grout acorn support spindle I made 80 yards of 2-ply heavy worsted weight this weekend (that's using my Kundert as a plying spindle). If I average 50 yards a week (because, after all, I would like to also be able to knit, do housework, eat, and go to work) I will have enough yarn to make my sweatshirt jacket in about ....oh.... half a year. Of course, I've already got 125 yards of the lilac Shetland so that shaves off ..... about 2 weeks.

My DH suggested that I start knitting the jacket bit by bit, as I've got yarn ready, rather than waiting 'til the whole thing is spun. That should add to the fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Hey, I didn't say to use a spindle! Won't a wheel be faster but 6 months is not too long ;-)

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home