around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Friday, May 12, 2006

a math problem


Do you remember those word problems you had to do in math class? Well then, let's do this one.

Cynthia buys 18 skeins of yarn from her online yarn store. She uses 6 skeins to knit the back of her sweater. She'll need 6 skeins for the front of the sweater. How much yarn does this leave for the sweater's 3/4 length sleeves, the front placket and the collar? (keeping in mind that a good part of one skein went into swatching)

Hmmm......we may be looking at short sleeves here.

Looks like I may have underestimated how much additional yarn I would need to account for shrinkage. When I did my original estimate I used the stated gauge on the ball band in my Sweater Wizard software (and bought more than the software estimated). While I get that stated gauge in a pre-washed swatch, it changes pretty drastically in the machine-washed & -dried swatch.

Oh well, I may be worrying about nothing and it will be fine (she says with confidence) .

......i wonder if they have more of this in my dye lot, just in case.....maybe i can recycle those swatches and use them for the sewing up at least, or maybe the collar......i can...i can....hmmmm

1 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Oooh, I h8 it when that happens. Can you knit the sleeves from top to bottom?

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home