around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A big box

is going to Parkland Hospital. We've got itty-bitty sweaters, hats and blankies. We've also got baby & adult size fleece lap blankets (the baby ones we made ourselves).

Many thanks to my knitting group (which is down to 2 dedicated knitters besides me).



The comments I get when I talk about swatching are always hilarious. My favorite one from Friday's entry is from Marina "Unlike Brigitte, I believe in swatching ... ~41 inch circumference x 4 inches. Any bigger and it's a garment ;-)" Glad to hear that you make such a nice big swatch, Marina. You can really be sure of your gauge that way, right? (giggles)

After all my enthusiasm, did I actually swatch this weekend? Ummm.... no. I'm so wishy, not to mention washy about all this. I'll get around to it after I finish my Cat's Paw scarf and the Wide-Ribbed socks. I am actually writing down the sock pattern this time and typing it in draft form into Blogger as I go. Cat's Paw will get written up and posted, too.

Pattern-writing is a really good exercise. It forces me to think about every part of the process. It's easy to leave out a really important bit of information just because I do some things automatically. Hopefully, if anyone ever tries one of my patterns, they'll let me know if any improvements or corrections need to be made.

8 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

I'm still a non-swatcher! And proud!

What a lovely box of knitted yummies the hospital is going to get! It's so wonderful to do volunteer knitting, isn't it?!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Well, that's the only way I'm going to find out for real if it's going to fit!

Wow, you gals did good! That's a wonderful gift for the babies and their mothers.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I really commend you girls- some moms and babies are sure going to be happy.
Pattern writing? My goodness, it's like giving birth! Alot of pain and angst, but the finished project is sure worth it.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how nice, there will be a group of very happy babies out there.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

Those sweaters are so nice! Moms are going to love them - babies will be warm. :)

I am too much of a planner to not swatch. All that work and what if it doesn't fit or look good? Ugh. Nope - better safe than sorry. Usually use a sleeve for a swatch, so I don't feel like it is "wasted knitting".

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some nice sweaters that you and your dedicated knitters made! Some babies are going to be very happy.

Swatching, schmatching. I'm so erratic it never helps me much.

Oh, you know someone will tell you about any pattern flaws!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about pattern writing. I came up with my mom's birthday socks and kept thinking, I'm going to write this down, and by the second sock I realized there were so many little things I didn't write down as I did them, that it was hopeless to even try.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helloooo! *echo, echo, echo* Is anybody here? Hey! Where did you go?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home