around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Guild

Reasons to belong to a local knitting guild (in no particular order):

1. Hanging out with really neat people that share your obsession

2. Discussing the merits of knitting two together through the back loops rather than slip slip knit (I really had this conversation last night - turns out, I prefer k2tog tbl and she prefers ssk)

3. Showing off your handknits to people that really understand the effort it took to make them

4. Learning new techniques

5. Impromptu reviews of yarns, patterns, and yarn stores from your table-mates

6. Sharing patterns for baby booties and hats

7. Getting to meet knitwear designers like Beth Brown-Reinsel and Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer

Beth (author of Knitting Ganseys - in it's ninth printing!) was at our guild last night and showed slides and examples of twined knitting, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish sweaters, Estonian sweaters, mittens and socks and other marvels. She's going to be coming out with a new book on knitting Scandinavian sweaters and some of the sweaters that will be in the book were there. If you like stranded knitting you may want to take a look at this book when it comes out.

I purchased her Compass Rose Sanquhar Glove pattern (towards the bottom of the page on that link) and she signed it for me!

Can you tell I had a good time last night?

8 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Wow- I'd have loved to meet BBR- she's amazing.
It is fun to see what others are doing and share knowledge. The Guild I used to belong to was so big as to be impersonal.
I'll look for that book.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking out for it!

I don't think we have a knitting guild here! I know there's a weaving guild but they include spinners and knitters.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I'll be looking for the BBR book too. The nearest guild to me is about an hour away so I haven't participated. I love the local group I knit with though.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Lucky you, you got to meet BBR!!! I did meet Lorraine and Anne first at a Guild meeting, but as Lorraine said - it was too big.

You did have a great time!!!

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, I love the tam. I really miss having a group of knitters to hang with.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Holly Jo said...

It's so fun to see someone you admire in person. It makes it so real that they really exist. :) One of my goals for next year is to make time to attend guild meetings.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmh, yes - it sounds like the most amazing time!;) Now, you wouldn't believe it, I've searched like a madman for something like a knitting guild over here - but heaven knows, there are none! Unfortunately I can't start my own either as I'd still be left knitting with myself alone - no one I know here enjoys knitting, no one! I'm afraid there won't be anything left to do but pack my things and move to a place where they have knitting groups and as much fun as you have with yours!

6:44 AM  
Blogger 鳳梨酥Blue said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home