around n round she goes

A blog for my knitting, spinning, quilting, violin-playing, or whatever else floats my boat

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Cat's Paw Scarf




Another traditional Shetland lace pattern with many variations. Wendy recently used this pattern for her Lucy socks and charted several of the variations, in case you would prefer a different version. I added a simple seed stitch edge border to keep the stockinette from rolling.

Yarn: Jojoland Cashmere 2-ply fingering weight, 400 yd, 2 oz skein in color C255 (baby blue)
Needles: US 4, 3.5 mm (I used Clover bamboo straights)
Blocked dimensions: approximately 43" length, 8" width

Cast on loosely 61 stitches

(The first stitch of each row is slipped for a nice chained edge, but that's a matter of personal preference. Slip purlwise on garter stitch rows, knitwise on the seed stitch borders.)

Set up: Knit 4 rows

Row 1: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P1, (K3, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, K2tbl, K9) three times, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 2 and all even rows: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P across to the last four stitchs, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 3: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P1, (K2, K2tog, YO, K3, YO, K2tbl, K8) three times, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 5: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P1, (K3, K2tbl, YO, K1, YO, K2tog, K9) three times, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 7: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P1, (K9, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, K2tbl, K3) three times, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 9: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P1, (K8, K2tog, YO, K3, YO, K2tbl, K2) three times, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 11: Sl1, K1, P1, K1, P1, (K9, K2tbl, YO, K1, YO, K2tog, K3) three times, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1
Row 12: Repeat row 2

Repeat Rows 1-12 until the scarf is approximately 41" long (or you've got about 4 yards of yarn left). Finish on either row 6 or row 12.

End: Knit 4 rows
Cast off loosely.

Block to open up the lace pattern (and keep it from curling).

If anyone wants the chart to go with the written instructions, leave me a comment and I'll email it to you - my charts don't translate well onto the blog. (Edited 9/17/09 - The chart is now at the top of this post. Click on it to make it bigger. I apologize to those who requested the chart and I never got back to you. I lost the darn thing and only just now found it again.)

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the scarf pattern. The scarf looks so fun, and I bet it feels great made out of the cashmere.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is beautiful Cynthia! It really looks like tiny wee kitty paws!

:)

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me, Mam? A cat walked all over your scarf...oh, oh, it's supposed to look that way. Cynthia, it's stunning. Just Beautiful. I'm glad to see you back.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia, I love your scarf and would dearly love to knit it for a cat loving friends of mine. I would be extremely grateful if you couuld email the charted version.

Thanks in advance
Edwina from England, UK

11:52 AM  
Blogger Two twigs and a string.... said...

ohhh lovely, I would a copy of the chart please.

krystal_faery@yahoo.com

4:34 PM  
Blogger shansays said...

I would love to get a copy of your pattern charted:) Now that I have gotten use to reading charts, I have a hard time reading patterns.

Thanks, Shannon

3:42 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Faerie said...

I would love a copy of the chart for this pattern. My mother-in-law would love this scarf!

You can email me though my username.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Would you please send me the chart for your pattern? =)

9:52 PM  
Blogger kaykatrn said...

I would love a copy of the graph for the Cat's Paw scarf. It' the most kitty'like one I've found! Thanks--I am looking forward to doing it.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I l-o-v-e this pattern! I think my bf's sister would like it too! (I'd make one for her, I mean!) It would be super-cool to have a copy of it!

~AK

3:43 PM  
Blogger bindeej said...

I'm going to try this again as it didn't go through before. Please send me the chart for the cat's paw scarf. I want to make it for my granddaughter in DK Comfort yarn so will need to adjust needle size and pattern width. I'll need to cut it down by one pattern repeat and that will be easier to see on the chart.

Thank you so much. I love this pattern!

Bindeej

3:54 PM  
Blogger Bindeej said...

Please send me the chart for this lovely scarf. Thanks.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks like so much fun. Would you please email the chart to me at.
Thanks!
Grace

6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful scarf. My friend is teaching for a couple of years in Japan and isn't allowed to have a cat in her apartment. I'm making her your Cat's Paw Scarf in the Jojoland cashmere as a snuggly substitute! You mentioned that you made a chart of the pattern. I would love to get it if possible. Thanks for the beautiful pattern. I love it!
Pam
pamelalowe@mac.com

6:55 PM  
Blogger Betsy said...

I love this scarf pattern. My daughter is a cat lover and I am trying to make this for her for Christmas. However, I keep having problems with the 3rd row and can get no farther. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but my stitch count changes every time. I have started over three times. As you can see I have no problem throwing myself under the bus :) Could you please email me the chart? Many thanks for a beautiful pattern!

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern, I know an LSU fan who will really like this made in purple and gold.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to make the cat's paw scarf with only two rows of lace instead of three. Can you tell me how many to cast on? Is the pattern in multiples of ?? Hope you can help.

Bev

1:53 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Try a cast on of 44 - I think that will work. It has been a while since I did this one.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cynthia. I will try 44.
Bev

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Oldcodger said...

Just adore this scarf pattern, but would you email me the chart if its still available
Many thanks in anticipation.
Jackie

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home